BLUE HOLE & AZURE REEF
Great dive with Mark, Dave, Chris. Cave. Big rock formations, many swimthroughs. …
Prachtige duik omgeving
Whole beautiful beautiful diving plaster sin of the arch but for divers it has become even …
De eerste keer op het nieuwe rif na ineenstorting: witte rotsblokken en grote rotsen, …
The Blue Hole is one of the most beautiful dive sites of the Maltese islands. The entrance and exit area, just below where the famous Azure Window used to be, is unique. The Azure Window collapsed on 8 March 2017, it gave the underwater world an exciting metamorphosis. You dive in a wind and water eroded rock formation with steep walls, which provides access to the open sea. Highlights include the imposing arc, which begins at 8 meters deep, and the huge 15 meter deep cave at the bottom. Once through the arch turning right will take you to many boulders and rocks and swim throughs with lots of life in between.
Very popular location. Can be very busy. Go early in the morning. According to many this is one of the best dive sites in Europe. Fascinating are the deep blue hues of the water. The hole where you enter the water, has a size of 10 by 5 meters. The Azure Window collapsed on 8 March 2017.
Very long walk to entry point over uneven terrain.
BLUE HOLE & AZURE REEF Features
- Dwejra Point Blue Hole and Azure Reef, Azure Window Reef
- Triq Il Gebla Tal General, San Lawarenz, Dwejra, Malta
- Sufficient parking
- 200 m.
- Suitable for
- All levels, day out with the family, underwater photography
- Free access, rocky and sharp path.
- Shower, souvenir shop, restaurant with terrace, toilets, mobile ice cream parlor, church/chapel
- Kind of dive
- Shore dive, reef dive , explorer dive
- Limited / variable
- 20 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 25 m.
- 26 m.
- Bath sponge, grouper, common octopus, starfish, tuna, mediterranean damselfish, black faced blenny, mediterranean cardinalfish or king of the mullets, discodoris or dotted seaslug, yellow cluster anemone, bonito, noble pen shell or fan mussel
- Other recreation
- Swimming , rambling or trekking/hiking, sunbathing