Gnejna Bay lies two kilometers down from the village of Mgarr. A total quite rural area with only boat houses built on the side of the bay used by fisherman and boat owners. It is a really natural environment of a sandy beach surrounded with many clay and limestone slopes. The sandy beach takes almost all the beach area and that's where you will walk in going to do your quiet and easy dive over a sandy bottom littered with small en large boulders with patches of seagrass between them offering many hideouts for marine life.
Further outside the bay after a 15 minute swim one can find the remnants of a plane, a Dornier D-2053, that once crashed here near in 1938 and now lies at 15 meters depth.
GNEJNA BAY Features
- GNEJNA, Dornier wreck
- Mgar, Malta
- Sufficient parking
- 30 m.
- Suitable for
- All levels, day out with the family, underwater photography, scuba diving training
- Free access, from beach
- Restaurant, toilets, mobile ice cream parlor, canoo and watersports rental
- Kind of dive
- Shore dive from beach, reef dive , shallow dive, explorer dive
- Limited, none
- 20 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 25 m.
- 15 m.
- rotsblokken,rotsen,zand en zeegras
- Stingray, double banded bream, scorpionfish, lizard fish, european parrotfish, ornate- or turkish wrasse, flying gurnard, mediterranean damselfish, saddled bream, rainbow wrasse
- Other recreation
- Beach, sometimes nudism, sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling