Wied il-Mielah, near the village L-Gharb, is situated near a similar 'rock window' as the in March 2017 collapsed Azure Window at Dwejra. A reef about 12 meters deep and about 30 meters long extends west (WNW) from the foot of the arch. Boats can easily anchor on this reef. Between this reef and the wall it drops to 18m and there's a nice pass through. Towards the valley is a large cave that has an airlock, very nice at end of the dive and suited for inexperienced divers. Deep divers best go east where they will find a wall that drops to 50 meters and more. West of the valley there's another very nice cave. This cave offers great scenery and is very photogenic. Further west, the wall drops to about 18 or 20 meters and the sea bed slopes down to a floor with boulders.
This dive can be done from shore but the walk towards the entry point and entry point itself is quite a difficult one. A boat dive is the better choice.
Exposed to all winds from north west to north east. Acces by shore is possible but very hard long walk.
WIED IL-MIELAH Features
- il-Mielah, L-Gharb, Rock Window.
- Gharb, Gozo, Malta
- Voldoende parkeerplaats bij de stek, voor bootduik bij bootcharter
- Suitable for
- Advanced divers, all levels (beginners under supervision), underwater photography
- Free access, rocky and sharp path.
- Kind of dive
- Boat dive, shore dive, deep dive (30m+), cavern dive, reef wall dive
- Limited, variable
- 20 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 30 m.
- 30 - 50 m.
- Amberjack, mola mola, common octopus, tuna, mediterranean cardinalfish or king of the mullets, dentex
- Other recreation
- Rambling or trekking/hiking, abseilen/rapelling