Hondoq Reef is an easy and shallow small reef which houses lots of marine life in its cracks and crevasses but also in the surrounding white sand. There are a few swimthroughs and underwater arches and a pipe which transports water from Gozo to Comino. The pipe is covered in algae, coral and has attracted quite a few species of fish. Currents, surge and access methods have made it a perfect dive site for starting divers. The bottom is a mixture of posedonia grass and sandy patches. It provides excellent photographic scenery due to its bright white sands and light filtering through the arches.
At night crabs, gobies, cuttlefish and shrimp are very common.
Boat traffic at surface. Watch out when surfacing.
HONDOQ REEF Features
- Hodoq il-Rummien
- Triq il-Kuncizzjoni, Gozo, Malta
- Sufficient parking
- Suitable for
- All levels, underwater photography, night diving, scuba diving training
- Free access
- Accessible toilet, restaurant
- Kind of dive
- Shore dive from beach, shallow dive, explorer dive
- Limited / variable
- 20 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 30 m.
- 3 - 12 m.
- rotsblokken,rotsen,zand en zeegras
- Stingray, double banded bream, lizard fish, common octopus, flying gurnard, saddled bream
- Other recreation
- Swimming and snorkeling