ZURRIEQ WEST REEF & CAVES
Diving with Fiona. First dive for today. Visibility alright but could be better. Slipper …
Despite wind still diving here. Very busy though. Huge Octopus, arms 5cm diameter. On way …
Goede duik naar volgroeid rif en 2 grotten, heel wat vis en stingers, verkennen in …
Tweede duik van de dag met Chris naar de grot toe, leuke kleine grot met veel kleuren naar …
Leuke ondiepe DSD' s. 4 Octopus, 3 Moray, veel kleine visjes. zoals gebruikelijk helder water.
The West Reef & Caves is a very popular spot near dive site Um El Faroud. Leave the inlet at the entry point, close by you will find the divers helmet which was placed on the sea bed to commemorate the 50th aniversary of the Atlam Divers Club, a local Maltese diving club. Then turn right and keep the reef at your right hand along gullies, ledges and boulders to reach the incredible Bell Tower Cave at 28 meter. The cave has three entrances and is usually full of red cardinalfish. A little further there's a second cave at 25 meters, worth exploring if your air supply is sufficient, otherwise turn around. Many divers tend to do their night dives in the inlet because of the abundance of life that can be seen then.
Use Um El Faroud's entrance at the Zurrieq inlet. Leave the water by the ladder or otherwise at the end of the inlet at the boat ramp.
Beware of boats on the surface in the inlet! Choppy water can make exiting difficult.
ZURRIEQ WEST REEF & CAVES Features
- Zurrieq, Faroud, Blue Grotto, Wied iz-Zurrieq, west reef, west reef & caves
- Triq Congreve, Wied iz-Zurrieq, Malta
- Sufficient parking, at entry point reserved for dive schools.
- 20 m.
- Suitable for
- Advanced divers, day out with the family, experienced divers
- Free access, stairs or ladder, giant stride
- Accessible toilet, boat dive facilities, boat ramp, toilet, small shop, bus stop, mobile ice cream parlor
- Kind of dive
- Night dive, reef dive , cavern dive, reef wall dive
- Limited / strong / variable
- 10 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 25 m.
- 30 m.
- rotsblokken,zand en stenen
- Scorpionfish, seahorse , striped red mullet, common hermit crab, common octopus, parrotfish, mediterranean damselfish, mediterranean cardinalfish or king of the mullets, painted comber, rainbow wrasse, salema porgy or cowbream
- Other recreation
- Snorkeling , swimming , rambling, paid boat trip to Blue Grotto