63 minute dive along the west reef towards the sand plain. Not …
We are 2 people who would like to dive today in the afternoon.
Diving with Fiona. First dive for today. Visibility alright but …
Despite wind still diving here. Very busy though. Huge Octopus, …
Good dive to fully grown reef and 2 caves, quite some fish and …
Second dive of the day with Chris towards the cave. Nice little …
Nice shallow DSDs. 4 Octopus, 3 Moray, lots of small fish. As …
The West Reef & Caves is a very popular spot near dive site Um El Faroud. Leave the inlet at the entry point, close by you will find the divers helmet which was placed on the sea bed to commemorate the 50th aniversary of the Atlam Divers Club, a local Maltese diving club. Then turn right and keep the reef at your right hand along gullies, ledges and boulders to reach the incredible Bell Tower Cave at 28 meter. The cave has three entrances and is usually full of red cardinalfish. A little further there's a second cave at 25 meters, worth exploring if your air supply is sufficient, otherwise turn around. Many divers tend to do their night dives in the inlet because of the abundance of life that can be seen then.
Use Um El Faroud's entrance at the Zurrieq inlet. Leave the water by the ladder or otherwise at the end of the inlet at the boat ramp.
Beware of boats on the surface in the inlet! Choppy water can make exiting difficult.
ZURRIEQ WEST REEF & CAVES Features
- Zurrieq, Faroud, Blue Grotto, Wied iz-Zurrieq, west reef, west reef & caves
- Triq Congreve, Wied iz-Zurrieq, Malta
- Voldoende parkeergelegenheid, plaatsen bij instap gereserveerd voor duikscholen.
- 20 m.
- Suitable for
- Advanced divers, day out with the family, experienced divers
- Free access, stairs or ladder, giant stride
- Accessible toilet, boat dive facilities, boat ramp, toilet, small shop, bus stop, mobile ice cream parlor
- Kind of dive
- Night dive, reef dive , cavern dive, reef wall dive
- Limited, strong, variable
- 10 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 25 m.
- 30 m.
- rotsblokken,zand en stenen
- Scorpionfish, seahorse , striped red mullet, common hermit crab, common octopus, parrotfish, mediterranean damselfish, mediterranean cardinalfish or king of the mullets, painted comber, rainbow wrasse, salema porgy or cowbream
- Other recreation
- Snorkeling , swimming , rambling, paid boat trip to Blue Grotto