Cable Layer Levant II is located 1 mile from St. Elmo breakwater lighthouse. It was built in 1904 as a trawler, and later on refitted as a cable layer for Eastern Telegraph Company. After The Great War, Levant II laid and maintained cables connecting Malta to Sicily, Libya and Alexandria. In 1952, the vessel was beyond repair so it was decided to scuttle it. It now lies pretty much intact on a rocky bottom
The wreck of Levant II was rediscovered by local diving community around 1999. Built in 1904 by George Brown and Co., Greenock, Single screw, Compound engine. Length: 138.6 ft. Width: 21.6 ft. Gross Tonnage: 283.
Due to Grand Harbor's ship traffic, this dive is considered hazardous unless the harbor is closed.
LEVANT II Features
- Cable Layer Levant II, Levant 2, Levant 2 Cable Layer, Major William, Orange, Eissero
- N.v.t. N/A
- At boat charter
- 30 min.
- Suitable for
- Technical diving , very excperienced divers
- Free access
- Kind of dive
- Boat dive / wreck dive / technical diving
- Limited / strong / variable
- 10 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 20 m.
- 55 - 59 m.
- zand en rots
- Grey trigger fish, grouper or merou, moray eel, barracuda, amberjack, nudibranch, tuna, dentex
- Other recreation