Newwiela Point is a little headland at the most southerly point of Gozo, situated one kilometer to the west of Mgarr Ix-Xini. Along the coastline here the vertical cliffs plunge into the clear blue sea. It has a shallow plateau around six meters depth, a perfect place for relaxing decostops, with a steep drop-off and wall with large boulders reaching depths beyond sixty meters and sandy slopes even further down. Small caverns and about three small archways can be spotted close to the plateau and the wall and boulders are covered with a lot of holes that provide hideouts for the abundant marine life.
Good buoyancy is a must to be able to explore this dramatic reef. Drop offs not far away from the cliff wall plummet to 100 meters.
In open water always take current into account.
NEWWIELA POINT Features
- Ras In-Newwiela, Ras In Newwiela
- N.v.t. N/A
- At boat charter
- Suitable for
- Advanced divers, deep diving, underwater photography, technical diving
- Free access
- Kind of dive
- Boat dive, reef dive , technical diving, deep dive (30m+), cavern dive, reef wall dive
- Limited / variable
- 30 - 50 m.
- Average visibility
- 30 m.
- 60+ m.
- rotsblokken,zand en stenen
- Dusky grouper or merou, common hermit crab, lobster, spiny lobster or langouste or rock lobster, moray, common octopus
- Other recreation