Mgarr Ix-Xini is a beautiful bay in the south of Gozo where many tourist and locals go for a swim. You feel safe in this still water surrounded by high cliffs. The bay is good for diving also. The dive spot has a sandy bottom, slowly decending to the mouth of the bay. At six and sixteen meter you will find caves that you can surface in and are located just below a cliff about 100 meter along the right hand wall.
This is really an easy dive. Going in taking the left wall, returning on the right wall (or vice versa) so you don't miss a thing. A little past the beach there are several entrances. There are also ladders to leave the water in a safe manner. In 2014 Brad Pit and Angeline Jolie used this spot to shoot the movie 'By the Beach'.
Boats also use the inlet so stay at depth. Watch out going in, algae make slippery.
MGARR IX-XINI Features
- Mgarr Ix-Xini, Mgarr Ix-Caves, Kantra Beach
- Triq ta Mgarr ix Xini. Vlakbij Mgarr iX-Xini Tower
- Sufficient parking
- 20 m.
- Suitable for
- All levels, day out with the family, underwater photography
- Free access
- Restaurant, mobile toilet , ladder(s)
- Kind of dive
- Cavern dive, shore dive, night dive
- 15 - 30 m.
- Average visibility
- 20 m.
- 20 m.
- Cuttlefish, flounder, seahorse , sea moss or bryozoan or sea-mat, common octopus, starfish, flying gurnard, stargazer, blotched picarel, razor clam or razor shell or spoot, light-bulb tunicate
- Other recreation
- Day tourism, rambling or trekking/hiking, swimming and snorkeling