Xatt L'ahmar literally means "Red beach" and of particular interest to experienced divers is the wreck of the deliberately scuttled old Malta-Gozo Ferryboat "ix-Xlendi" which lies in the depths just beyond the bay, nowadays joined by two more wrecks west of it, the Cominoland and the Karwela. The bay itself is quite shallow, reaching depths up to 12 meters but then suddenly slopes down drastically to 20 meters where there's the drop-off to 34-36 meters where you will find a cave and a massive overhang. Looking towards sea, on your right hand the drop-off changes to a steep slope to 36 meters.
There are three entry/exit points at this site and a number of potential dive plans as options.
Emergency services are quite far away from here.
XATT L'AHMAR Features
- Red Bay, Red Beach
- Għajnsielem, Gozo, Malta
- Limited space during high season
- 20 m.
- Suitable for
- All levels, day out with the family, deep diving, snorkeling (shallow area)
- Free access, rocky and sharp path., sloping path
- Mobile toilets
- Kind of dive
- Shore dive, reef dive , shallow dive, deep dive (30m+), cavern dive, explorer dive
- Limited / none
- 20 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 30 m.
- 4 - 34 m.
- rotsblokken,rotsen,zand en zeegras,kiezel(stenen)
- Stingray, cuttlefish, scorpionfish, lizard fish, moray, soft coral, common octopus, mediterranean damselfish, stargazer, saddled bream, brown meagre, yellow cluster anemone
- Other recreation
- Sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling