Ras il-Hobz is a submerged pinnacle also known as Middle Finger and can be done from shore and by boat. It is one of the most breathtaking dives in Gozo. The top of this pinnacle is only 8 meters below the surface but it rises up from 50 meters down. This dive is suitable for Advanced, Technical and Open Water Divers as long as they keep to their depth limits. The narrow channel between this rock and the shore is 35 metres deep whereas on the seaward side, the bottom drops dramatically to 85 metres and even deeper. At 63 metres technical divers can find a huge 3-prong anchor protruding out from the reef wall. The nearby reef on the west side of Ras Il-Hobz is just 5 metres deep, excellent for deco and safety stops while exploring.
Entry from shore is usually along the main discharge pipe from the revamped water treatment works. Sheltered from north western winds.
Good buoyance control is a must because of the depth.
RAS IL-HOBZ Features
- Middlefinger, Middle Finger
- Mgar ix-Xini, Gozo, Malta
- Sufficient at dive spot or for boat dive park at boat charter
- 50 m.
- Suitable for
- All levels (beginners under supervision), technical diving
- Free access
- Kind of dive
- Reef dive , technical diving, deep dive (30m+)
- Limited / variable
- 20 - 50 m.
- Average visibility
- 30 m.
- 9 - 100 m.
- rotsblokken,rotsen,zand en zeegras
- Barracuda, striped red mullet, moray, tuna, slipper lobster, sea hare, dentex, discodoris or dotted seaslug, noble pen shell or fan mussel
- Other recreation