The Merkanti Reef is a very popular dive site 100 meters offshore from Sliema with a lot to offer. It's a relatively shallow dive spot (max. 18 m.) with clear, calm waters and a colorfull stone reef, covered in Neptunes grass. The Merkanti Reef is home to a wide variety of marine life and a great spot for underwater photography. Make sure to bring your camera.
The Mercanti Reef can be reached by boat or from the shore. Reaching it from the shore takes a long swim, a boat dive may be the best option.
Long swim from the shore. Boats at surface between shore and reef so bring a SMB.
MERKANTI REEF Features
- Paceville, Dragonara
- Triq Dragunara, St Julians, Malta
- Sufficient parking
- 50 m.
- Suitable for
- All levels, day out with the family, underwater photography
- Free access
- Kind of dive
- Reef dive , explorer dive, snorkeling, boat dive, shore dive
- Limited, none
- 10 - 40 m.
- Average visibility
- 25 m.
- 18 m.
- rotsen en stenen,zand en zeegras
- Anemone, cuttlefish, common octopus, parrotfish, sea squirt, mediterranean damselfish, black faced blenny, saddled bream, sand steenbras or striped seabream
- Other recreation
- Swimming and snorkeling