The Fireworks Barge got damaged in the evening of Sunday 6 September 2009 in St. Julian's Bay after fireworks unintentionally went off causing an explosion. Luckily no one got hurt. On the following Tuesday the barge sank and it now lies upside down around 12 meters deep on a sandy bottom in the middle of the bay. The barge can not be penetrated but can be looked inside so bring a torch. It now forms a nice artificial reef for lots of marine life, very suited as a first wreck dive for starting divers.
It can be dived on from different sides of the bay, or even as a practice boat dive.
Heavy boat traffic in high season. Bring a DSMB!
FIREWORKS BARGE Features
- St Julians Barge
- St. Julian's Bay, St. Julian, Malta
- Sufficient parking
- 200 m.
- Suitable for
- All levels, day out with the family, underwater photography
- Free access, from beach, by shot line or anchor line
- Hotels, restaurant with toilet, shop(s), dive center Dive Malta
- Kind of dive
- Boat dive, shore dive, wreck dive, shallow dive
- 15 - 30 m.
- Average visibility
- 20 m.
- 12 - 14 m.
- rotsblokken,rotsen,zand en zeegras
- Stingray, wide-eyed flounder, lizard fish, fourline nudibranch, mediterranean moray or roman eel, nudibranch, european parrotfish, ornate- or turkish wrasse, flying gurnard, mediterranean damselfish
- Other recreation
- Sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling, boating, yachting